01 November 2011

Affairs and that Malark

Truth be known, I've been rather a busy tramp of late. Tastings and ponse go-lóir! To add to this my favourite grape is an obscure little gal by the name of Cabernet Franc. Now in Ireland she's a rather expensive and a hard to find doll. In effect everything against the idea of Empty really, but of late something has changed. Not seeing Cab Franc in a while, I don't know, it's left an encroaching loneliness, something that another grape is swooping in a filling. Who is this mystery tart? What hoor is it that tries to whisk me away with its robes bitter-sweet with the smell of fresh tobacco as she enters the room? Tempranillo.



The Bitch I hear you cry. Yes, I have been courting this grape a lot of recent. Not a hard to find obscure gem like Miss Franc but a subtly brilliant slut to my tastes.

Mill Wine Cellar, €8.99 

Edging towards me, the smell of mint beckoned me from its mouth, flirting with an inviting glint mimicking the colour filling my eye, a ruby red hiding the blushes of mine as I thought fondly of my beloved Cab Franc, waiting for me alone, surrounded by... My mind fleeted, the red filled my eyes as it dared me to inhale the aromas shrouding the Lady dressed in only a Riedel carved to smoothly caress her light skin. Plum-like perfumes turned to a light cherry and, I held back no more. Sipping not lightly at this poisoned dark chalice of betrayal. No, deeply, overwhelmingly and passionately I glumped as the favourite chords were plucked upon, a refreshing minerality, flowing and furthering the cherry'd lips of this Spanish lass on me. Lashing distinct, but soft, echoing the cherry with a full lingering plum, finishing her presence on me with an engraved all engulfing liquorice, which harboured the hand tied to my human fancies, primevally harassing a desire to stop till it wished itself be washed in the tarnish too. The second taste of this sweet affair revealed something which awoke an ancient fear in the heart which sought light amusement bereft of meaning, a seemingly empty aesthetic hoarding in its cold beautiful elegance began to show a warmth. Oak. A spice jumped, cinnamonesque, sweet to the senses, lasting, but yet this hollow hoor, offered the decadency in calculatedly and venomously addicting measures. Elegance and the final look upon the wine offered a wish of more, a guilt, a renewal, a jealousy of the charm wielded with subtle and almost unnoticed aggression(deleted repeated word). The crescendo of the hoor the glass lowered, nothing remaining save a lasting cherry from the lips, and the burning desires to repeat.

Effectively my point is this little light to medium body character ticks a lot of boxes for the fruit headed Pinot/ Cab Franc lover and what's better is its price. A surprisingly stylish and appeasing wine for €8.99. Well worth a taste and well worth revisiting. It's a top notch example of a Tempranillo, will a subtle touch of controlled oaked. At its price it's a student’s delight or even a table wine for the poor but decadent!

Score: (79)  B

No comments:

Post a Comment